Monday, January 18, 2010

Literacy and the Black Woman- Sharon M. Darling


The first sentence of this text was, "The Black woman represents strength and endurance, yet she also represents what we consider to be at risk and poverty." This oxymoronic statement troubled me. I'd like to think that my race and gender represents strength and endurance as a whole, but I cannot ignore the "risk" and "poverty" words.

I would notice "at-risk" students in my school all the time. The were at-risk because, one, they didn't apply themselves and two, they didn't have a role model for encouragement and motivation.

When I read this selection, some of my observations began to come together and make sense. The illiterate Black woman in earlier times did not have access to education because the whites prohibited it, and if there was an opportunity for education, it was limited and structured to regulate black girls to lower positions in society (pg.17). Or, the Black woman would become a young mother, resulting in not finishing or continuing her education. In further reading, confirmed by The National Coalition on Women and Girls in Education, it says that the literacy levels of children are dramatically affected by that of their parents. On page 20 it also claims that illiterate woman are less likely to read or have literature-based interactions with their children.
This upsets me because how are we supposed to have a hope for better future generations when there are family members who are not making an effort. I also realized that I was brought up differently than many of my classmates because my parents spoke to me with proper English and always encouraged my brother and me to read and check out books at the library on the weekends.

It’s sad because black women are still perceived as being illiterate and in poverty, yet there are plenty who are trying to become successful. This is why I am grateful for institutions like Spelman because they focus on uplifting women in general, giving us confidence to achieve any goal that is set. I believe that women who continue education and are interested in bettering themselves are great role models for our future generations. Women like Michelle Obama, Hillary Clinton, and Oprah are setting the standard and making younger generations realize their potential and given opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment