Sunday, March 21, 2010

School Systems Still Segregated?


When I read this passage, I was compelled get some more insight on the segregation of schools back in the 1960’s by asking my parents about their experiences.
Both of my parents attended elementary school during the mid to late 1950’s. My father went to an elementary school in Silver Spring, Maryland which was the same elementary school I first attended. He told me that that school was the first to become integrated in that area. He said that he received the same education as white kids since he had the same materials they had. The only main difference were the neighborhoods because black neighborhoods had gravel roads and the whites had paved roads.
When I asked my mom about her elementary school experience, she also said that her school was integrated but it was majority black; mainly because she attended school in Washington, D.C. She said that for the most part, all of the students had the supplies they needed. This clearly shows that schooling was much different up North.
But back to my father’s experience, I found the information he gave me very interesting. Even though I attended that school way past segregation, I still experienced some form of racial oppression. I remember my kindergarten teacher excluding me from activities. I remember my mother telling me that she felt like my teacher did not treat me as well as the other students. Even though I was not the only black student in the class, black kids were the minority for the most part.
I still believe that the Jim Crow Laws “Separate but Equal” still live on today in a sense. One of my friends from Atlanta talked about how bad some of the “black” school systems were and that the white counties had some of the best schools and access to many resources. On the news they’re even talking about shutting down several elementary schools in Deklab County due to funding issues.
I also witness separation in school systems where I’m from. In Prince George’s County, a majority black county, school systems are not the best. The county is known for having the worst schooling in Maryland. Yet, in Montgomery County, which has the top school systems in Maryland, has the best resources available to the students. This upsets me because in PG, you can only get the best supplies if the school is brand new, yet the system never maintains to keep books updated over time.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sequoia Phillips-
    I thought it was very interesting to hear that you went to the same elementary school as your father. Usually you hear about daughters taking the paths of their mothers, when either way it going you all are leaving a legacy at that high school. For me, alot of mily members including sisters, nephews and cousins, we all go to the same pediatrician. This has become an inspriration for me in my journey of becoming a pediatrician. Anytime you have a generation of family history at a school, work place or any other organization that is recommended, it is usually a good facility. Equality is the most important goal of bein able to choose the places you want to go and the people you want to be around. Before we didn't have a choice but ot be segragated among blacks, but now that we have the choice African women all around the world wish to attend Historically black colleges such as Spelman College.

    ReplyDelete